University Messaging Service
Messaging is a suite of services offered by the Office of Public Affairs and Communications. It consists of both a self-service interface built into the message application for sending targeted messages and a personalized customer service enterprise. The latter provides hands-on assistance sending targeted messages, identifying target audiences, managing and manipulating lists, posting material online, and establishing dynamic access restrictions to materials. Lists can contain Yale and non-Yale email addresses.
Message application: http://www.yale.edu/its/m2
Note: Additional approval must be obtained for mass emailing.
Clients who need to send messages to targeted University audiences and targeted non-University audiences. more..
Departments who would like to send their own large-scale, targeted email messages, please email Communications directly for more information.
The University Messaging system is a web-based application developed at Yale. It supports large-scale email messaging as well as targeted messaging to the following types of lists:
- Auto-refresh – using SQL query (Data warehouse, HR, Banner). These lists are updated daily.
- Subscription – provides a web page for individuals to subscribe to the list (see example).
- ARS – Auto-refresh subscription group – a list that updates daily using a SQL query, but also allows individuals to unsubscribe from the list.
- File Upload – upload a plain text file of email addresses.
It also has an option to post messages to a web page (see example of message web page).
The message can be set up to come from various email accounts.
We will work with initially to identify your lists and train you and anyone else who needs to send messages to the same lists.
There is no charge for the service.
The Email subscription has the following features:
- Lists of Yale faculty, students and staff automatically remove anyone who has graduated or left Yale.
- The subscription lists provide a breakdown of students, faculty and staff within the list – students are further identified as undergrads or graduate and professional by school.
- Lists allow for both Yale and non-Yale subscribers - Non-Yale are identified as Public. Opening to non-Yale is optional.
- Where permitted, the Message system has automatic opt-in lists where you can pre-subscribe people based on their department or role at Yale, and give them the option to unsubscribe.
- Subscription groups are shared on the Yale Subscription service site where many people gather additional subscribers that are interested in hearing from you - https://messages.yale.edu/Subscribe/
- A direct link to your list is available to share from your website, facebook and other social media channels – for example, YaleNews
- Open rate tracking is more accurate with this Yale service due to internal IP addresses being blocked by outside services, such as Group Metrics or Google analytics.
Message Lite is a self-service email tool that provides access to the messaging system groups by NetID. This is especially valuable as it connects people with lists that can auto-update using SQL query. Included is a subscription service that automatically removes members when they leave Yale. Rich html content and attachments can be used with Message Lite.
If you would like to learn more about Message Lite, please email Campus Communications directly for more information.